[Updated] AshleytheGriffon's Mod Application

Note: This is my lastest application.

1. How long have you been with OtterCraft?

I have been with Ottercraft since 2018. That would be 5 years as of writing this.

2. How old are you? Do you have any experience in moderating a server?

I am 23 years old, I have experience in moderating medium-sized discord servers but currently no experience in moderating minecraft servers but would like Ottercraft to be my very first experience in doing so.

3. Why would you like to be staff?

I am always looking for ways to help others when they are in need. I believe with a staff position I can help others to a greater extent, and I also want to experience what being a staff member is like and to expose myself to more people that can render more usefulness in the real world.

Iā€™ve made many fond memories with this community and would like to help it thrive for years to come and bring the server to even greater heights and I see this as an opportunity to learn new skills, develop my abilities in community management, and grow personally and professionally and being a staff member allows me to contribute to the growth and well-being of the community that I care about deeply.

4. What would you do if users started spamming the chat?

If somebody is spamming (e.g Sending too many messages in a very short period of time), I would start by giving them a warning, as spam violates server rules. If the warning doesnā€™t work and they continue, I would consider giving them a ā€˜time outā€™ via muting them. The duration would vary based on the quantity and content of the spam, in the worst cases, a temporary or even permanent ban could be necessary.

5. Someone was exploiting a bug on the server, what would you do?

I would give them a warning, but if they press on, I would consider a kick and inform the backend team of this potentially Zero-day exploit that is present in the server which they can investigate the bug and take steps to fix it, which may involve patching the vulnerability and monitoring for any further exploitation as bugs are present in everyday applications and patching them is always important.

6. Your friend, best friend, sibling or any family member joined the server and started breaking the rules, what would you do?

If a friend, best friend, sibling, or family member joins the server, I would treat them as if they were any other regular players. Depending on the severity of their actions, I would give out the appropriate punishment. ensuring that the rules are enforced consistently for everyone and no ā€œfavouritismā€ is played.

7. In the event that you are accused of picking ā€œfavoritesā€ on the server, how would you respond to that?

I would reach out to that player to find out more and what has caused them to think that way, and try to de-escalate the situation at hand and apologise and accept the criticism if valid. I would also explain that my goal is to treat everyone fairly and equally. I know it is important for me to maintain a neutral and unbiased stance to ensure a positive and inclusive environment for all players. If anyone feels that Iā€™ve been unfair, Iā€™m open to feedback and willing to address their concerns constructively.

8. How have you responded to criticism in the past?

Past or Present, I have listened to and considered any criticism handed to me. I believe all criticism, even unmerited, can be an opportunity for personal growth and introspection. At the end of the day, most criticism is well intentioned and simply comes from a place of passion, and any chance I might get to improve as a member of staff is a good thing to me.

9. Is there anything youā€™d like to see OtterCraft do in the future that we are not currently doing?

I would like to see Ottercraft to hold more events and have attractive goodies in the end. For example, maybe a Christmas Item Hunt can be held where players need to find item hidden in the lobby and able to get some rewards if completed.

10. Lastly do you have any skills or strengths youā€™d like to point out in particular?

I will start off with soft skills, I have time management skills, and am able to work in a team, I possess communication (though chat) skills with others and of course, always will remain cool headed when met with issues.

As for hard skills, I am a diploma holder in cyber security and networking. I also know some website UI coding, Python, C++, Javascript, HTML, PHP and know some basic photoshop and video editing skills. I also have experience in working for 3 months in a tech firm as an intern and got to touch on databases and see an actual datacenter and work on it several times during the internship. And I also know how to use advanced SQLs on databases.

I am intending to further study AI during my university studies and I would learn more about Natural language processing (NLP) and the rest. My end goal is to create an AI chatbot that can be implemented on the ottercraft website if needed.

1 Like